Sunday, May 3, 2015

Adventures? in the night

Prov. 3:24; When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.
I read this verse this morning and I laughed. After what happened to me last night it might be a little bit before this verse is true for me.
Here’s how it happened. I had been sleeping peacefully for a few hours, I really don’t know what time it was because I was a little bit involved in other more important things than checking the time. I woke up to  a tickling on my neck, “Dumb chicote,*” I thought, “I wanna sleep.” So I reached up to scoop it off my neck. I was quite surprised by the size of the thing, and it felt slightly “leggy.” I threw it across the room, hoping it would hit a wall or something and end up with a major headache. I cuddled back up, ready to resume my sleep, but when my hand got near my nose I noticed a very peculiar small. Chicotes, don’t smell. I also started feeling a small stinging sensation spreading from neck. Chicotes don’t bite either. I quickly forgot sleep!  Tiptoeing across the floor, trying not to think of the possibility of stepping on “whatever it was!” I flicked the light on, searching for a scorpion.  I didn’t see anything.  I decided to see how much my neck had swelled, so I went to the bathroom, washed my hands to get the stink off and was relieved to see only a little bit of redness and no obvious stingmark.  But I was not about to go back to bed with a murderous insect on the loose. I prepared to do a thorough search of my room.

And found him. A spider, not a scorpion, hiding underneath my bedside table, just waiting for me to climb back into bed so he could further terrorize me.  Flip-flop time! He escaped my first swap and retreated further under my bed. “Uhuh! not happening!” I crawled halfway under my bed, and thankfully rather than retreating again he decided to come at me. So I demolished him.

Yes! this was what was crawling on my neck . . .


 I honestly think he was the ugliest spider I have ever encountered. Maybe not the biggest, but let me tell you, this bugger was downright terrifying at that early hour of the morning.
I crawled back into bed after making sure that he hadn’t invited any friends to the party. I couldn’t help but imagine the rest of his family waiting patiently under my bed till I had fallen asleep again.
To say the least it took a little while to fall asleep again, even with the infallible protection of my sheet pulled tightly up to my neck.

In other news, I’m taking advantage of a free Sunday afternoon to do some writing and a lot of catching up. Updates may be scarce until about July. 40 purses waiting to be made, students to be taught, a seamstress-in-the-making to teach, plus weekend plans don’t leave a whole lot of time for extras.
But continue to enjoy life. Live every moment to the fullest and don’t forget the people around you.

*chicotes are these beetle things that have really clingy feeling legs and are very annoying.


No comments:

Post a Comment